Luigi Atzori is Associate Professor at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari (Italy) and Research Associate at the Multimedia Communications Laboratory of CNIT (Consorzio Nazionale Inter-universitario per le Telecomunicazioni). Dr. Atzori received his Ph.D. degree in electronic engineering and computer science from the University of Cagliari in 2000. He spent the seven months from November 2003 to May 2004 at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, as Fulbright Visiting Scholar. He was Visiting Professor at Telecom SudParis, in Evry, France, in August-October 2016.
L. Atzori research interests are in multimedia communications and computer networking (wireless and wireline), with emphasis on multimedia QoE, multimedia streaming, NGN service management, service management in wireless sensor networks, architecture and services in the Internet of Things. Recently, he has been involved in projects related to QoS management in NGN networks, context-aware multimedia information provisioning, commissioning and monitoring in wireless sensor networks, architecture for adaptive networked embedded systems. He is currently the coordinator of the Marie Curie Initial Training Network on QoE for multimedia services (qoenet-itn.eu), which involve ten European Institutions in Europe and one in South Korea. He has published around 150 journal articles and peer-reviewed conference papers, and has one national patent. His research has been funded by European, national, regional and industrial grants.
L. Atzori is senior member of IEEE (since 2009) and has been the Steering Committee Chair of the IEEE Multimedia Communications Committee (MMTC) for the years 2014-2016. He has been the editor for the ACM/Springer Wireless Networks Journal and guest editor for the IEEE Comm. Magazine, the Springer Monet Journal and the Elsevier Signal Processing: Image Communications Journal. Currently he serves in the editorial board of the following journals: IEEE IoT, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, and Elsevier Digital Communications and Networks. He served as a technical program chair for various international conferences and workshops, including ICC and Globecom workshops, ACM MobiMedia and VLBV. He served as a reviewer and panelist for many funding agencies, including FP7, Horizon2020, Cost Actions, Italian MIUR and Regional funding agency.
- Associate Professor, October 2014 to present
Aggregate Professor, October 2009 to 2014
Researcher, November 2000 to present, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari
Project Technical Coordinator, January 2000 – December 2002, CNIT – Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni
Postdoctoral Research Associate, August 2000 – October 2000, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari
Awards and Honors
Scientific papers awards
- Best paper award at the conference International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT) 2016, for the paper IoT-D2D Task Allocation: an Award-Driven Game Theory Approach (co-authored with Emad Abd-Elrahman, Hossam A__, Makhlouf Hadji and Virginia Pilloni)
- Best paper award runner-up at the conference Innovation in Cloud, Internet and Networks (ICIN) 2016, for the paper Resource Allocation Using Virtual Objects in the Internet of Things: a QoI Oriented Consensus Algorithm (co-authored with Andrea Carta and Virginia Pilloni)
- Best paper award runner-up at the IEEE World Forum on IoT 2015 for the paper Taking the SIoT down from the Cloud: Integrating the Social Internet of Things in the INPUT Architecture (co-authored with Ivan Farris, Roberto Girau, Michele Nitti, Roberto Bruschi, Antonio Iera and Giacomo Morabito)
- Nominated for the best paper award of the ITU-T Kalidoscope 2011 conference for the paper Making things socialize in the Internet – Does it help our lives? (co-authored with Antonio Iera and Giacomo Morabito)
NoAE – Network of Automotive Excellence
- Winner of the Innovations Champions Award (Jury with members from Airbus, Audi, Boeing, Bombardier, GM/Opel, Porsche, Volkswagen, Skoda, Siemens – 30 members from 10 different countries) – 2012
- Nominated for best paper award of the ITU-T Kalidoscope 2011 conference for the paper “Making things socialize in the Internet – Does it help our lives?” (co-authored with Antonio Iera and Giacomo Morabito)
- Senior Member, since 2009
- Member of the Multimedia Communications Technical Committee, since 2005
- Awarded a Fulbright Scholarship (category: Visiting Scholar) to work on video streaming at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ, USA) – 11/2003-05/2004
- Award for outstanding thesis in telecommunications, 1996
For my list of publications, please visit my Google scholar profile.
Research Grants and Contracts
These are available at the Project page.
My research interests fall into the following areas:
- Associate Editor, Elsevier Digital Communications and Networks, 2015 – present
- Associate Editor, IEEE IoT Journal, 2013 – present
- Associate Editor, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks Journal, December 2013 – present
- Editor of the Infocommunications Journal, 2012 – present
- Associate Editor, Hindawi Advances on Multimedia Journal, November 2010 – March 2016
- Guest Editor (with Raimund Schatz, Tasos Dagiuklas, Pedro Assuncao), Springer Journal on Multimedia Tools and Applications, special issue on QoE Monitoring and Management for Future Internet Media Services, April 2017
- Guest Editor (with Chang Wen Chen, Tasos Dagiuklas, Hong Ren Wu), IEEE Communications Magazine, feature topic on QoE management in emerging multimedia services, April 2012
- Editor (with Daniel D. Giusto, A. Iera and G. Morabito) of the book The Internet of Things, Springer, New York, ISBN: 978-1-4419-1673-0, 2010
- Editor of the ACM/Springer Wireless Networks Journal, 2007-2010
- Guest Editor (with Tasos Dagiuklas and Christos Politis), ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET), special issue on Multimedia over Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks, 2008
- Guest Editor (with Ebroul Izquierdo, Pascal Frossard, Ozgur Akan), Elsevier ImageCommunication Journal, special issue on Mobile Video, 2007
- Editor (with Daniel D. Giusto, Riccardo Leonardi, Fernando Pereira) of LNCS Visual Content Processing and Representation (Springer LNCS 3893) – Proceedings of 9th International VLBV workshop, 2005